Saturday, August 20, 2005

Thank goodness for Babelfish

I made a sign in English, German, Italian, French, Spanish, Portugese, Chinese, Japanese, and Dirty Knees that says PLEASE, NO SMOKING. Thank goodness for Alta Vista's Babelfish. For the uninitiated, here's the link. Babelfish The sign is not meant to offend anyone, although I'm sure it will. Its meant to gently remind people that they are in a very nice air conditioned store that smells nice and WE WANT TO KEEP IT THAT WAY.
Ugh! I can't believe that at one time in my life I smoked, yes its true, and now that I'm a non-smoker, I can't tolerate the stuff. Yuk. Anyone else feel that way? I made the sign and then I forgot it in the printer.

Update on Bigness and Cuba
So now, Mr. Bigness is back from Cuba and can see again, which is a good thing, since he does all the driving, and my license is expired.

The really really rainey season has started!
Yea! My freshwater cistern thanks the Rain Gods. I don't mind the rain, its warm like bathwater and clean. It never rains for days and days, just a few hours. The air is so clean here, since we have only 5 vehicles on the island, that we drink the rain water in the cistern. Drinking rain water takes some getting used to, it has absolutely no flavor to it, just the idea that you're not drinking water from the ground, but from the sky is cool in itself. The vats are black and closed at the top, so no algae grows. The rain runs off the metal roof into gutters, and before the gutters dump into the cistern, there's a window screen to keep the chunks out. I'm sure there's no pelican poop in my water. Even if there is, everyone needs a little nitrogen in their diet. BTW (disclaimer coming) we make all the coffee and teas with purified, ozonated and reverse ozmosised water in big clear blue bottles, delivered daily from our trusty water wagon strong men. And I never serve ant cake to the cutomers... unless they ask for it. I promise you that if anyone comes into the store and asks me for ant cake (I would probably faint) I PLEDGE TO GIVE YOU ONE ANT FREE TRIPLE CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO BROWNIE. (for free)
O.K. back to the rain. the house is a shakin and the lights are a blinkin, and the UPS keeps sounding her warning. Beep low voltage, beep gonna go off, beep warning big breeeze a comin. Sounds like a hurricane out there. I better post this soon.

2 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Hello, I was mooching around your blog while you were out, taking a break in Belize. Love it!

I actually prefer the taste of rainwater...sky juice :-)

The Space Above the Couch said...

I can't wait to drop by for some ant cake!!! I wish i could be were you are just now. even just for a morning. Good for you to uproot and follow your instints. The light and colour must be wonderful...