Sunday, November 27, 2005

What I did on my birthday

45 is a big one, in my opinion. Half way through the decade, where you're still rising, haven't quite arrived yet - still have a little bit of energy, but are smart enough to not make the same mistake 3 times.
A good friend came over from San Pedro (the next island) for the night, plus bigness's oldest daughter and kids were here for the weekend, we all went out for dinner. My friend brought a cake and a bottle of wine, Bigness had already ordered a cake, which was a fete in itself, because he had to use the phone, and had to dial it himself.
A week before my birthday I decided that I wasn't going to ignore it this year. I told Bigness my birthday was coming up in a week and what I expected. I wanted a chocolate cake, sex the way I liked it, and a nice dinner out. He complied and didn't grumble too much.

Me: I want you to call Mr. Whyo's sister and order a cake for me.
Him: I'll get it when I go to the city
Me: You're going to bring a fancy cake on the water taxi? What if the seas are rough?
Him: You want a fancy cake?
Me: YEEEESSSSSSSSSSS. Just get it from Mr. Whyo's sister, she makes the wedding cakes I've eaten at receptions here - I like her cake. (Whyo isnt his real name, his real last name is Reyes)
Then I added with emphasis: Its MY birthday
Him: What's her name?
Me: I don't know, I don't know anyone's real name, she's Whyo's sister.
I see the wheels turning and the gears grinding, the far away look, then he snaps out of it.
Him: Oooooohhhhhh, Loite, she was my sweetheart in college, she was in luv with me, but I was bad back then, lawless.
Me: You're still lawless and every female over 55 - in Belize - was your sweetheart in college, tell her to not poison me.
A side note: Belize's speaker of the House of Representatives (Mrs. Zabaneh) was his girlfried in college, along with the lady from Tobacco Key who makes the dolls I sell in the gallery. Bigness was a basketball star. At night we're laying in bed watching the local news and they will play a clip from the House of Representatives session, he'll give a big sigh and say... "That gial luved me you know."

6 comments:

hobbes said...

Wow! Happy birthday! Hope you got everything just the way you wanted it.

:-)

Anonymous said...

LMAO....:>)

Cream said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, LEE....
I hope you had a great day!XXX

Caribbean Colors Belize said...

Thanks Guys.
Yes, everything was the way I wanted it.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Haha, Bigness is a right trip, I tell you :-D

This is what I admire: "I told Bigness my birthday was coming up in a week and what I expected." A gal who asks for what she wants rather than expect the guy to GUESS!

You go, Saggi girl! I left birthday greetings on your birthday.

Caribbean Colors Belize said...

I don't know why I wanted a fuss this year, but for some reason it was real important.