Friday, November 18, 2005

I fell asleep and when I woke up...

... there was a giant tropical storm right in front of me. Toto, we aren't in Kansas anymore.
Anyone else watching the weather channel out there?
Where the heck did this big ugly thing come from? ... and why?

As of 9 p.m. central time (Friday night) the storm has organized and moved northwest. The stopped running the boats at 5 p.m. today, so whoever is left here isn't going anywhere. No diving trips, no snorkeling, no laying on the beach.

All that's left to do is to sit in my shop, drink coffee, eat blueberry cake and buy art.

Tonight I dug my floater jacket out of the bottom of the closet (closet is a very loose term for the spot between two rooms that I chuck my clothes), from inside the double hefty bags I use as mildew resistant storage, because the rains have started. We're supposed to get 10 inches in the next 24 hours.

Saturday Morning Update:

The storm turned and is heading more north than west, the seas are more calm than yesterday, the wind has died down and they started running the water taxis again at 8:30 a.m. Its directly west of us now and moving slowly north.

Another near miss, let's hope its the last of the season.

May people have asked me this question. Can you get insurance? The answer is yes, but only for contents of the store. After Hurricane Keith in 2000, buildings on the beach are no longer insured by the local companies. Bigness and I have discussed this at lengh. What would we do if we get hit and this building falls down? Build again, but in concrete? I say, retire again!

7 comments:

Cream said...

We get a wee bit of frost on the windscreen and we think we are badly done to!
The temperature is zero but blue skies.
God help you with the oncoming rain!

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Can't wait for November to end! I dread May-November, hurricane and storm season, always worried for family & friends out there.

hobbes said...

mmmm - did you say blueberry cake. My fav.

Anonymous said...

I've got to know..what is the heck is a "floater jacket" is this Belizean for "life jacket" or as we sailors would say, "PFD" personal floatation device? I was thinking of you on Friday and Sat...was relieved when I saw the storm turn away.

Caribbean Colors Belize said...

A floater jacket is a full jacket life preserver, with foam even in the sleeves, in fashionable neon orange (adds about 50 lbs to your look). Its insulated, zips up the front and has a clip in the belt for tying yourself to something. I am the envy of every boat captain on Caye Caulker.
Put it on and I swear voices in your head will start saying...
Abandon Ship! Abandon Ship!

Anonymous said...

I hope your kids know you are OK and can you e-mail some of that cake and a big cookie while you are at it?

David Crowe said...

Ugh! I thought it was getting better. I shudder to think how the locals here would handle your weather. We had a light (I mean LIGHT) thundershower here in Atlanta and people were running around like they were extras in THE POSEIDAN ADVENTURE.