Tuesday, January 03, 2006

How I Do It

People have been asking me how I make the hand colored photos. I shoot the pictures digitally with a Canon Digital Rebel EOS in raw format. I make a print on either an acid free linen cover stock or Arches handmade watercolor paper so I can pick up a texture. The printer is an Epson 1280. I color the photos with very soft oil pastels, prismacolor pencils and watercolor pencils. Sometimes I use an irridescent oil paint crayon. I use my finger or a tissue to smooth the backgrounds. Each hand colored photo is a very limited edition run of 25 with the artist reserve being numbers 1-5 and 25. Most of the photos are printed on 8" x 10" format and matted in 11" x 14".

3 comments:

Caroline said...

Hmm... I've got the camera, a similar printer and lots of materials... now I just have to get hold of the right kind of paper.... thanks for sharing!

Caribbean Colors Belize said...

You'll be amazed at the results with hand-coloring versus using photoshop or painter filters. Nothing replaces the human eye and hand.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Who said art was not work, eh? Excellent, Lee. [I like calling you Caribbean].