Saturday, July 13, 2013

Photo Friday - Structure

 
Long afternoon shadows in Antigua Guatemala. I shot this last year, September 2012, with my little old Canon Rebel EOS and its original 18-55 lens that I purchased in 2004. I chose it rather than my Canon 40D because it is small, relatively speaking. Lugging my other camera around is like taking care of a newborn baby.
 
Little did I know at the time, this would be the last hurrah for that camera, as it was stolen one month later in October 2012 from my apartment on Caye Caulker, Belize. I was in the U.S. visiting my family and the apartment was burglarized by my ex husband's son who had gone back on crack cocaine. Mind you, my ex husband lives next door, when we got divorced he had to chop the house in pieces in payment to me for my investment in the property. Mine being the smaller piece, but nonetheless, mine. My ex stepson was caught a couple of weeks later and pled guilty and went right back to Hattieville prison where he had been released a few months earlier. By the time they (the village council worker and chairman, and not the police) caught him, he had sold or used everything he had stolen. I don't take it personally, when he's not using he a really nice person. And when he's in prison it seems like he's able to manage his addiction, because he comes out on parole, fat. If he can stay off Caye Caulker he has a chance, but within weeks after arriving I notice him losing weight and having that stringy wrung out furtive look, and I know its only a matter of time... before things start missing again.
For more posts in this blog click here
For more Photo Friday submissions click here
 

1 comment:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Drug addiction is a beast of an illness. It's heart-breaking. I know of one chap who's sold things from his mother's house to feed his addiction.

Prison doesn't help the addict, we need more...and more...rehab places.