Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Domestic Goddess

As high season approaches in a few weeks, we also celebrate the American Thanksgiving here in Belize. No, really we do. Maybe its the fact that the American Thanksgiving week is the first really busy tourist week we have in the new season, or its just fun to have an excuse to eat turkey. Its not quite the same, take a plate of turkey and mashed potatoes and gray, add plenty of rice-n-beans and stovetop stuffing and canned cranberry relish, and voila! Last year I made pumpkin pie from almost scratch. I found cans of the filling in Belize City, opened them, added the ingredients listed on the recipe on the LABEL, (poured into the frozen pie crust cuz I'm lazy, then baked for 50 minutes) found some cool whip at the same shop that the King of Coolwhip shops at and again... voila! I bought two extra cans in the hope that I would somehow make it again, and just in case the next container ship with imported canned goods from the U.S. didn't get here for 2 more years, we were set. Well, we have the cans... but they have joined the ranks of cans-sans-labels (thanks to UNBaby's prying fingers) and we are now using for doorstops. So, I'm steeling myself for what looks like a round of Russian Can Roulette. It could be yams, it could be whole kernel corn, it could be... salsa casera. At any rate, the food won't go to waste because we eat everything here, (except I don't eat the feet or eyeballs of anything) after all, its a 3rd world country, and we can't afford to be too picky here.

9 comments:

Hayden said...

I was just kicking myself for being a lazy thing as I picked up the frozen pie crusts yesterday, LOL! But gotta' have pumpkin pie... and yeh, life is too short to try to do it all.

island girl said...

I know what you mean about the feet and eyeballs....yuck.

Anonymous said...

No Cow foot soup? You're missing out on a belizean mainstay right there!

island girl said...

No thanks. I have gone to a soup shack before in the DR and watched hundreds of people suck on their cow hooves in ecstasy. I was pretty grosssed out.

I also don't like watching people sucking out the eyballs on fish heads and chewing them. Yuck.

Unknown said...

thats hillarious! 2 years for canned goods! hope those canned good do not include BEER as well- cus that needs to arrive regularly!

i did the same thing with the pumpkin paste!! got enough for pumpkin raviolies then threw in a few more in aspirations to make a pumpkin pie! we'll see maybe this weekend i'll make it.

Anonymous said...

I say that if a dish can be made faster using frozen ingredients and still turn out as good as with fresh ones, then cut out the middleman and get on with it! Life is too short!
But the two-year wait might drive you crackers!!!

Rainypete said...

I think that should be a Thanksgiving tradition! Everyone gets a can and and opener. Then they can be thankful they didn't get a can of feet.

Caribbean Colors Belize said...

Cow Foot Soup. UGH! Its the stench and the stickyness that gets to me most. Bigness likes to make it and goes through these fits and streaks where every week he's got a big pot boiling and boiling. He says the stickyness is good for his back. I say, let's leave your back alone :-) I've learned how to drink the broth when I'm real hungry and there's nothing else left to eat in the refridge, and if you pinch your nose closed, close your eyes and swallow fast, you can almost pretend you're drinking beef soup.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Ya mean to say, you never ate the fish eyeball? I watched my brother eat it, he looked pleased. ewwwwww.