Thursday, September 06, 2007

I'm O.K., You're O.K. but Nicaragua isn't o.k.

The second time in two weeks that we evacuated ran nearly the same only quicker than the first time. Practice makes perfect. I'm glad the government and The Weather Channel errors on the side of caution and we won't have the likes of Hurricane Keith (Sept/Oct 2000) sneaking up on us again.

For another point of view south of us in Honduras, check out La Gringa's Blogicito.

I feel sorry for the poor people of Nicaragua. Its such a poor country, much poorer than Belize. Its been 2-1/2 weeks since Hurricane Dean and the reconstruction effort by the Belize Government and other disaster agencies in Corozal is well on its way. At least that's what I'm hearing on local news, as I've not been up there to see it myself.

After Felix we decided to not hurry back but to give ourselves a couple of days down time, mental relaxation. Maybe we'll go back to work tomorrow, maybe we won't. Let's see how the weather fares. UNBaby has a cold and fever, Supergirl is crocheting a baby blanket for a friend due in a couple of weeks, and I'm using my time wisely of course, re-reading all the back issues of The New Yorker that MB has sent over the years. No one is on the Caye right now, the whole island emptied out again and this time of the year it's mauger season (translates into "hungry") so it will be days and days before we get any new tourists.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you are all OK. These storms have been scary. My boyfriend scoffs at blogs but he still has to listen to me talk about them, and when we were talking about Felix he asked "what about the woman on the island with the fish head, are they all right?"

Anyway, hope your mental relaxin' goes well - all the best, Jess

Anonymous said...

These damn storms come in bunches. In 04 we had Francis followed by Jean 2 weeks later.

I hope you don't get any more.

Caribbean Colors Belize said...

Jess, thanks for the Fish Head link, I reread my sillyness and it really cheered me up.

Tom, I don't know what''s upwith all these storms, global warming & bad karma?