Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Lightening Strikes, Twice

Well, as you have probably figured out by my long pauses in conversation, that the computer repairs did not go as well as expected. Missing this and missing that from my newly reformatted hard drive was annoying, but not fatal. It went like the time I took my Saab in for a new exhaust system and it turned out that the loud noises coming from the hole in my muffler actually masked the strange sound coming from my engine. And then lightening struck (while I was checking the satelite images for approaching storms) to add another dimension to the confusion. I didn't know you could blow up a computer through a DSL line and a bolt of lightening. The things I learn every day. So, the computer had to go on the water taxi Belize City for another week. When I got it back, they had not included the power supply cord, and we don't have a computer store on this island of 1000 people + 300 tourists. I've learned from my mistakes though, if you throw your ocmputer through the window in frustration, it probably won't work right again... so don't do that.

In the meantime...
Add to the mix a ton of coca cola (packaged in 1 kilo bricks) dropped offshore between Caye Chapel, Caye Caulker, Ambergris Caye and Xcalac Mexico with the ensuing Police Carrying Machine Guns Unit, Special Unit to Watch the Police Unit, The Men in Dark Sunglasses Posing as Tourists Unit, followed by the The White Men in Polo Shirts and Dark Pants Carrying Cell Phones Unit. I personally have not witnesses any of the feeding frenzy going on the reef, because I don't have time to study those people as I'm trotting around the block chasing United Nations Baby who has suddenly decided that she's a big girl and can take off down the road any time she wants. I feel like I'm training a puppy.

And then...
Somewhere around July 7th I became Mrs. Bigness. The bride wore white because her mother wasn't here to stop her.

And Speaking of Mothers...
Mine is here now, rattling around in the kitchen, trying to figure out the electronic ignition on this fancy pants stove that Bigness bought me. We're about to take off for the wild blue yonder and do a country tour by car in 3 days. Its a small country.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Yeyyyy!!!!!

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Yee hawwwwwwwww. You did it. I wish you and Bigness all the best and a long happy forever marriage.

And yes, lightening can do bad tings to de pooter through the phone line.

Rainypete said...

I wish for you two a long and happy future together since I'm too far away to give a gift. Although I suppose a power cord would be well recieved right?

Enjoy the car tour. Do you have to tour a tiny country in a tiny car or can you use a regular sized one?

hobbes said...

Wooohoo! Congrats! We've all been waiting a while to say that now, and then you just slipped off all quiet like and didn't say a word. The blog equivelant of eloping to Vegas I think. Anyway, thrilled for you both. May you never change each other.
:-)

Hayden said...

wonderful news - about you becoming Mrs. Bigness, not abt. the puter. Congratulations, I'm looking forward to hearing about the trip when you get back.

DCveR said...

Power surge protection on power cord AND telephone line are mandatory on a computer... and believe me, I've learned it the hard way too.

DCveR said...

Oh, and congratulations! The first time I read this post I must have skipped that part... so sorry! All the best for you and Bigness!!!

Caribbean Colors Belize said...

Thanks guys, its good to have a working computer again!