Sunday, May 14, 2006

Illustration Friday - May 12 - Angels and Devils

I painted this a couple of years ago. Its pretty large and is the one of the bedrooms of Alamina Beach House. I read about the technique of oil over acrylic in a book I bought on one of my yearly trips back to civilization, I mean the U.S. Before painting the acrylic background I built up a texture using a palette knife and modeling paste and let it dry 24 hours. The oil paint was thinned down and painted almost like watercolor in transparent layers over the acrylic. I call it Hang Up Your Wings Baby. I didn't ever really have it in the art galery for sale, but would bring it in from time to time if I needed to fill wall space. I gave several copies away to friends and released it as a limited edition. This painting is about releasing myself from having to live up to other people's expectations for my life. Check out more Illustration Friday entries.

7 comments:

AscenderRisesAbove said...

i like the concept of keeping a pair of wings hanging around - just in case.
oil over acrylics.... oh that sounds very interesting; I am going to read up on that process.

fenris said...

very nice painting. the first word that came into my head to describe it was calm... and then i read that it was about release... you've certainly communicated that.

nicbrek said...

Beautiful work of art and very thought provoking.

HARDWAX said...

Wonderful work and with soft appealing colors. Very fine!

Rainypete said...

Beautiful as always Lee.

Caribbean Colors Belize said...

Thanks everyone.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Woooo. Strong work, vibrant, full of life. Ah luuuv it.

Yep, I know what you mean about getting a LOT done when folks leave you be.

hahaha I'm trying not to laugh out loud in this net cafe, at your foot in mouth about Rosa.