Sunday, December 05, 2010

Sondra

Sondra created quite the "scenery" as a little crowd drew on the street. She had arrived from Belize City on the Trickster barge, and was carried from the pier to the gallery on a trailer pulled by a golf cart. Important things were happening, such excitement. She was uncrated, de-doored and lifted up the stairs one grueling step at a time. 3 men including a tourist from Denmark, and an hour and a half later she was standing re-doored and all shiny. And I hugged her like she was a tree. I love you Sondra, I said to myself. Its o.k. to love an appliance.

I had remembered everything... that is, except to measure the width on the verandah door. Snap snap went the pinch bar and tap tap from a hammer popped off the moulding, and she slipped right thru. Lovely.

Shirlene poses next to Sondra. "She's pretty noh tru miss Lee, and so BIG."

Where is Old Delia? Old Delia has been relegated to a corner because of her bad ways. Old Delia doesn't like to work, is constantly hot, spoils things and has had many many many many repairmen inside of her. So, unplugged she stands in the corner waiting waiting waiting for the repairman to come to the caye. With Sondra so pretty and cold and big and new, things will never be the same for Old Delia.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I've read your blog off/on when I search through the AC forum over the last few years. You have a great story and you're a wonderful artist, and yes - people do listen (read) when you write. Please keep it up. We do care and commiserate. Hugs...

Anonymous said...

AND I know that being a thrifty Midwestern Gial, that you have the super high efficiency model. To keep the electic bill affordable. And yes, it is OK to love an appliance, I love my friggy too! MB

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

She served you well, and now she's ready to be put out to pasture...that is, if she can't be repaired. Then you can fill her with compost. That's what I use a little ol' fridge for, in the garden. Don't like to throw 'way nothin'.

Carmen Myrtis-Garcia said...

Sondra looks nice! People are nice to help. She will serve you well.

Sara said...

Ahh, appliance love. One of my fave Lemonheads songs "Stove" addresses this very real feeling....here are the lyrics:

the gas man came, took out our electric stove.
I helped him carry her.
He told me he had been a prize fighter once.
Shuffled her through and out the door.

We walked back in talked 'bout his boy at U.V.M.
and we began to put the new stove in.
But I miss my stove. She's all alone.
Call it love. She's been replaced.

I miss my stove. She's all alone.
She's right out front and looks a mess.
Unwanted guest. We lied to her.
I miss my stove. Feel sad I guess.

I know I shouldn't think about it anymore.
"What's the point?" you say.
But I'm reminded each time I walk out my door.
My stove is gone to stay.

He walked back in talked 'bout his boy at U.V.M.
and we began to put the new stove in.
But I miss my stove. She's all alone.
Call it love. She's been replaced.

I miss my stove. She's all alone.
She's right out front and looks a mess.
Unwanted guest. We lied to her.
I miss my stove. Feel sad I guess.

Liz said...

I always enjoy reading your blog Lee Ann. From all the years that i have known you, i can say that you have been an inspiring artist and a wonderful person to talk with!P.S. I like Sondra, she is very very shiny! :)