Friday, November 05, 2010

What's in a Name?

I recently referred to someone as a "douche bag." Not to their face of course, because then I couldn't have the satisfaction of having a passive aggressive rant behind their back. The name fits. This person is irresponsible, a jerk, selfish, and in general a jerk. Whopsydaisy, I used the word jerk twice. Now, I know what a douche bag is in real life. Its a very clever invention for cleaning your tarantula. But the use of it to describe a person and their behavior, where did that come from? Any of you experts on word or phrase origin, feel free to pipe up.
I found this interesting urban dictionary entry: meaning of douche bag

2 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

It's the origin of words and phrases that intrigue me. I wonder who started the douche-bag one. Maybe it came from dirt-bag.

Supergirl said...

I see GG's point in many languages there is the masculine and feminine form of the same word. dirt-bag may be the male form and douche-bag being the male. (both forms referring to a male was intentional)